What is RAR File Extension and How to Open It?
What is a RAR file?
RAR file is a short form of Roshal Archive Compressed file; it is a compressed file that consists of one or more files and folders of it. RAR files are found as the regular folder on your computer, where it already has many other files and folders inside it for organizing. However, a RAR file requires special software to open and extract the contents from it, unlike all other normal folders do.
Use of RAR file
- Apart from storing a download time, RAR files can be protected with passwords and encrypted as well, so the contents inside the file stay hidden unless and until you don’t know the password.
- Think of the file as a little-locked box full of data, with the password reacting as a key.
- Many RAR files are without password protection in them, which is being used to store the pictures, documents, videos, or whatever file type is wanted.
- The RAR files are also useful when a friend has a long list of files that they want to share with you, such as photos.
What is a RAR file extension?
RAR files are the compressed files that are created by the WinRAR archiver. RAR files can be divided into multi-volume archives when dealing with large file sets such as Zip files, and these files need to be extracted.
Steps to create a RAR file using WinZip
- Go to the File option and then select the new Zip file and add the file you need to convert into a .rar file.
- Choose the Zip option located in the left-hand panel and then hit the OK button.
- In the right-hand panel, choose which actions you need to enable before saving the file: Encrypt/ Reduce photo size/ Convert to PDF/ and add a watermark .create zip file Winzip
- Under the Share or save Zip option, you can select to create the new zip file, email it, or simply share it on social media.
Make a RAR File in Windows 10?
To create a RAR archive file, you need to download WinRar first on your device. Then follow these steps:
- Right-click on the file or the folder that is to be compressed, and then click on the Add to archive option.
- Now name your archive file, and then press the OK button.
- And there you go, you have created a .rar archive, and it will appear next to the file/folder you compressed.
Extract a RAR File in Windows 10?
You just need to open the archive folder and drag the files you need to extract from the archive folder to your computer’s folder.
- Open the WinRar archive folder from where you want to extract the files.
- Choose the files that are to be extracted.
- Click on the “Extract to” button.
- Choose the destination path where you want the files to be extracted.
- Click the “OK” button.
Steps to open RAR files
- Save the RAR file to the desktop. If a compressed file is downloaded from the website, it may be stored in the Downloads folder in your Documents or the user directory.
- Launch the WinZip application from your start menu or the Desktop shortcut. Open the compressed file by just clicking the File option and then click on the Open button; if your device has the compressed file extension associated with the WinZip application, just double-click on the file.
- Select all files and folders inside the compressed file. Or multi-select only the files or folders you need to open by holding the CTRL key and then left-clicking on them.
- Click on the Unzip and then select Unzip to PC or Cloud in the WinZip toolbar under the Unzip/Share tab.
- Select the destination folder to place the extracting files and click on the “Unzip” button.
- Search your extracted files in the destination folder.
Convert a RAR file to a ZIP file
Method #1 – Convert by Using WinRAR
Right-tap on the RAR file that you want to convert, and then select the Open with RAR option from the context menu.
Once the RAR file is opened in the WinRAR application, click on the Tools tab and select the convert archives.
The Convert archives window will then open; on clicking the checkmark, it will Immediately open the list of all RAR files. You can then click on the Add button and if you need to add more RAR files. You can search for the location to store the converted file. It will be saved in the same destination where RAR files are located. Now click Compress.
Set default compression options window will open and select the tab General and then in the Archive format section select the ZIP file and then click on the OK button.
Method #2: Convert by Decompressing the File
Right-click on the RAR file that you want to convert, and then select the “Extract Here” option from the context menu.
Once the folder is extracted, right-click on it and then choose the Add to archive option.
In the window that is opened, click on the General tab and then select the ZIP file in the “Archive format” section and click on the OK button. You’ll now have your RAR file converted to the ZIP file format.