What is BAK File and How to Open It?
What Is BAK File?
BAK files are the files having a file extension.BAK is a backup file used by several applications for the same purpose, which is to save the duplicate copy of one or more than one File for the backup purpose. Many BAK files are created automatically by the application that needs to store a backup file. This process of saving a backup file can be done by anything from a web browser to save the backed-up bookmarks to a dedicated backup application that archives not only one File but many more files.
Sometimes BAK files are generated manually by the user of the program. You can create the File by yourself if you want to edit the File, but you should not make any changes to the original File. So. Rather than moving the File out from its original folder by overwriting it with the new data or delete it altogether, what you need to do is just add.BAK file extension for safekeeping at the end of the filename.
BAK File Format
BAK file extension is created for the file format, usually used at the time of generating a backup copy of the File. A BAK file is developed as an automatic backup file when a program is editing or making the changes to the File in the question. Some certain database programs use BAK files when making a backup copy of their database.
Methods to open BAK file
Method 1:- Follow the steps given below to open a BAK file:-
- Browse the File to open.
- Click on the Properties button and then Open File Location tab.
- Look for a backup of the File that you received.
- Prepare a copy of the original one.
- And then Delete the original File.
- Come on to the Rename Bak file option.
- The application should then start working as the original.
Steps to Open Microsoft SQL Server.Bak File
This is an easy method to back up and restore Microsoft SQL databases.
Click on the name of your SQL server in the Object Explorer pane to expose your databases.
Select the “user databases” option and then right-click on the name of the database you need to restore.
Click on data base.
Click on the “From Device” radio button and then click on the “…” button to open the backup medium window.
Select the “File” option from the drop-down menu, and then click on the “Add” button. A file explorer window appears. Browse to the BAK file, choose it, and then click on the “Open” button to add up the File in the backup medium.
Tap the “OK” button and click on the “OK” button again to open the File for backup.
How to Restore a.Bak File
As we mentioned earlier, that there is no other way to open and perusing the substance of a SQL Server .bak File other than just restoring it.
- Make a Right-click on the database tab.
- Go on to the task > restore > database.
- Check the Radio button from the device.
- Click to browse the location.
- Tap on the “add to select” BAK file option.
- Go on to the Bak file folder and then select the folder for restoring.
- Tap the “OK” button and then select the backups that you wish to restore.
- Then select both the options for a complete backup.
- Press the OK button and then get a message after completing the backup.
How to Convert BAK File Extension
- A file converter can’t change the file type BAK because it’s not so much a filegroup in the conventional sense but simply a naming plan.
- On the other side, you can’t make sense of utilizing a BAK file extension, take a stab at utilizing an application that can play the File as a content archive, same as one from our Best Free Text Editors menu. There might be some content matter in the File that can explore the application that has made it or the type of File that it is.
For example, a file named File with the .bak file extension makes no sign at all about File’s sort, so it’s not an easy choice to comprehend which application can open this File. Utilizing Notepad++ or any other word processor from that rundown might be useful.
- Essentially, instead of changing over BAK file to CSV file, you can locate that opening the File in a content manager would demonstrate that there is a lot of content matter or table-like components that would guide you towards understanding that your BAK file is more extremely a CSV file, and in that case you can easily rename your File with the .bak file extension to the File with the .csv file extension and then open it with Excel or some other CSV editor.