What is the APK file extension and How to open it?
What is an APK File?
APK is a short form of Android Package Kit, which is also known as the Android Application Package. APK file is a type of file format that Android uses to download and then install the applications in the system. An APK file is a type of application that is designed for Android or Google mobile operating systems. Some of the applications are pre-installed on each Android Devices, whereas other applications are permitted to be downloaded from the Google Play Store. Programs that are downloaded from the Play Store will be automatically installed on your android devices. In contrast, the downloaded applications from the various sources from outside must be installed manually b the users.
Any file having the file extension .APK is an android package file used to allocate the applications on the Google Android operating system. APK files are generally stored in the ZIP file format and are generally downloaded to the Android devices directly, often via Google Play Store. Still, they can be found from their respective official websites too. APK files include all the elements that an application needs to install properly on your device. As similar to the EXE files on the windows, you can locate an APK file on your android device to install the application. When the apps are installed manually by using APKs is called Side Loading.
Why are APK files used?
If you think that Android’s default program and settings are restricting and need to do more with the device, installing the APK files is your way. From a verified website through the APK files, you can easily download the applications and games.
Uses of APK File
- APK files permit you to download and then use leaked applications.
- They also permit you to download the latest Google updates with the help of overriding carriers.
- Mostly Google imposes region restrictions for downloading some applications, and that’s why sometimes you may not be able to download the application. APK files are the solution to this issue as well.
- Some developers don’t offer their apps to the Play Store.
How to Open an APK File?
Although APK files are used mainly on Android Devices, you can still open it on several Operating Systems.
To open an APK file on the Android device, you just need to download it as you would have done for any other file and then open it when asked.
Ways to open APK files depending on the Android Version
- From the settings option, browse to the applications and the notifications option. Choose the advanced option and then tap the special app access. And finally, select the install unknown apps button.
- From the settings option, visit the applications and notifications tab.
- From the settings option, browse the security options.
To open an APK file on Windows, you need a cross-platform product such as Bluestacks or the Android Studio. You will find the buttons with the options to install the APK files on Windows.
ARC Welder, a Google Chrome extension which is meant to test Android apps for the Chrome Operating system, but it can work on any OS. which means that you can open an APK on Mac or Windows computer as long as you have this app installed within the Chrome browser on your computer.
How to Convert an APK File?
- This is just because an APK file is an application that is meant for particular devices only, unlike other file types such as MP4s or PDFs that work on a different number of platforms.
- Despite, if you want to convert your APK file to the ZIP file format, you will use the commands. Either open your APK file in a file extraction tool and then repackage it as a ZIP or simply rename the.APK file to.ZIP file extension.
- Like it is already discussed earlier, you cannot convert an APK file to IPA for use on iOS, nor can you convert the APK to EXE file extension to use the Android app in Windows.
- Most developers have a similar application with them that is available on both platforms.